Monday, 15 April 2013

It's been a while...


"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you"
                                                                                                       ---  Maya Angelou
As I idly browsed through the latest news stories, blog posts and online articles the other day, I stumbled upon the quote above and it sparked something inside of me. Something that seems to have escaped me for what feels like an eternity but truth be told, something that once again I have let the world around me get in the way of and made excuse after excuse about finding the time to do. That thing is to write.
If I have something that can be said in less than 140 characters then I seem to reach for my Twitter app and suddenly that thought is out there for people to read, favourite, retweet, reply to or most likely, ignore. Similarly, if I want instant reaction to something slightly longer than 140 characters then Facebook is my next medium of choice. People can like or comment and this can last for hours, days or again disappear as quick as it is written. Either way I seem to have developed a worrying habit. It would appear that in the interest of time saving, my emphasis on sitting down and writing anything longer over the past 3 months has been side-lined.
This is predominantly down to the fact that I was never sure of the identity of my blog. Whether it should be purely long tales of whimsical anecdotes & small blogs would clutter it up or if these smaller ones would help to keep it alive and the longer tales would still be the focal points.

As Easter approached I thought, “ok maybe this is the perfect time to spring clean my mind of all of the mini blogs that have been stopping me from committing to writing anything new on here for nearly 3 months!”. But then Easter came and went and I only really got as far as jotting a few notes down to remind myself in multiple ways that I was failing to not only blog but also keep up with my new year’s “goals” (http://bit.ly/ZwkYmv).
Whilst I’m touching upon that, it’s probably wise to fill you in on why I have been AWOL for nearly 3 months and maybe give you an insight in to how I’m getting on with the 5 “goals” that I set myself for 2013 (if you think along the lines of how the “I must blog more often” goal has gone then you would be somewhere close to predicting how the others are doing!).
1) Learn one new healthy recipe per month... Since my home made beef burgers in January I have failed to really try anything new and with finding little time and inspiration to blog I’ve also found the same things lacking when it comes to new culinary creations. I do live in hope that I will turn this around and catch up by the end of the year!
2) Increase my cardio/fitness... This goal is being spectacularly failed on many levels.
During February I attempted to complete a challenge that seemed to fit perfectly with my recent purchase of a jumprope and one that I presumed would be simple enough and was also public enough to shame me into doing it. A 30 day Jumprope challenge to see how many rotations you could achieve in 5 minutes every day. After day one I aggravated a muscle in my back and took 3 more days off before completing another day, which injured me further and I put it off for the remainder of the challenge!
I have also been thinking about buying a bicycle for a while now as it is something I used to use every day up until I reached about 16 and enjoyed it without realising that it was a form of exercise. So after much research and deliberation I have decided to opt for an entry level road bike. The wheels are much thinner than I’m used to but I’m sure once I’ve got out there a few times I won’t look back...except to check for traffic of course! However, in testing out a bike in a shop before I made a purchase I seem to have pulled muscles in my ribs and have now been prescribed cocodamol by the doctor and told to not ride for a couple of weeks...so ironically I can’t get my fitness up just yet because, well,  I’m unfit!
As you can see, fitness seems to turn me in to something of a liability so fingers crossed once I am fully healed, this new approach will signal a change in fortune and I will be able to add tales of cycling adventures to this blog rather than more pathetic “I’ve been injured before I started” stories...once again my money is on the latter!
3) Read more!... I am slowly making my way through 3 or four books at the same time but I have been reading more and more news stories and online articles so I can count this as a partial success.
4) Blog more!... Well we all know what’s happened here so the less said about that the better!
5) Show my girlfriend how much I love her!... As ever you’ll have to ask her that. As her birthday fell earlier this month I do hope I am at least completing this goal but my view would be bias on this!
All of this shows that not only am I useless at keeping New Year’s Resolutions but I am also pretty poor at keeping the goals I set myself instead of these resolutions.
On a slight side note, in my time away from blogging I have still been keeping an eye on other blogs, mainly for inspiration to find the time to write again but also because there really are some great writers out there with a plethora of interesting things to say. I don’t often plug other sites or blogs but my lack of ability to blog since January and keep up with my “goal” is in stark contrast to an ex-colleague of mine who created a challenge for herself to blog every day of 2013 and not only is she managing to keep up with this challenge but her daily tales provide both anecdotal and interesting stories from her travels. Feel free to check out her blog here (but do make sure you venture back here once you’re finished perusing over there). . .So congratulations Nikki, keep the good work going!
Anyway, back to my absence and during the process of writing my last blog post I was also evaluating my current career path (those of you familiar with my previous posts will remember a fateful night trying not to kill off a comedy night for a room filled with paying spectators whilst I try to gain some humour from my role as a Project Analyst whilst being asked by the comedian of the evening, Chris Ramsey (http://bit.ly/116e6Qx)). I had applied for a new job which would take me back to the world of Marketing, been for the interview and felt inspired by the potential of not only being back in a more creative environment but also having a much easier job to explain if ever I came face to face with Chris Ramsey or any other comedian again! So I wrote my last blog and luckily enough 2 days later I was offered the new role (I don’t believe these 2 acts are connected but you never know!) and so came the far more nerve racking experience of handing in my notice at my current employers. You never like to feel like you are letting them down but this was made all the worse as the day before I had my interview my boss came over and sat on my desk before I left and said “So, go on then, you’ve got an interview tomorrow haven’t you?!” to which I swallowed a deep breathe, chuckled (what other noise do you make in this kind of situation?) and said “No. Of course not!”
What followed then was 4 weeks of even longer hours, increased stress, taking work home, all in the name of handing over my ever increasing workload as seamlessly as possible in what turned out to be the quickest timeframe I’ve ever experienced. After a fantastic last Thursday night and Friday send off from a great array of the people I had worked with for the 3 years of my time there I had a mere 48 hour weekend to unwind from a frantic 4 weeks and prepare myself to start the new role on the Monday. And being only 6 full weeks in to this new role, some would say I’m still settling in but despite being in a far more inspiring and creative environment it has come at a time of year that carries a large array of emotions. These emotions range from joy, to stress to tiredness and most importantly an empty wallet…that’s right, it’s birthday season for me.
In the space of 12 days I have my sisters’, my girlfriends’ and my mothers’ birthdays so there is lots of celebrating, meals out, cake, presents to find and buy and sleep to miss out on. Oh and just for good measure there are friend's birthdays and a wedding or two thrown in just for good measure! But please don’t think I’m complaining about this, I am merely making you aware that it has been incredibly easy to fill any spare time with anything other than sitting down to compose words on paper...especially when the author isn’t even sure where they would sit best at the end of it!
So I guess whilst the seasons make their mind up on how long Winter will go on for, I figured April is still a great opportunity for a spring clean. And once I had this birthday season out of the way and found more time to get my thoughts clear I started getting certain thoughts down and out, and low and behold the dots started connecting and suddenly small anecdotes turned in to longer tales.
So from now on I’ve decided that not only will I post the longer stories but will occasionally be adding smaller anecdotes, hopefully for your amusement but more selfishly to help clear my mind from time to time to allow creativity to flow a bit freer. After all, there are only so many random thoughts you can get away with without talking to yourself and looking crazy! I will of course still be using Twitter (@justdrewonit) and Facebook for these too but I think I have finally realised that you can’t really define a blog before you write anything, you have to let the blog be defined by the things you write on there.
So, as this blog nears 1000 page views, I am more humble and more determined than ever to keep this blog going and relieve my agony by telling the stories inside of me, whether they big or small, they will no longer go untold.

No comments:

Post a Comment