Weekends and films go together perfectly don't you agree?
The trouble is, for those of us that work Monday to Friday (officially 9-5 but who's kidding who here), the weekends are 48 hours where anything is possible...where we must find a way to undertake all the necessary chores that life dictates whilst also allowing ourselves to be free to let our hair down, over indulge, spend time with the people we love, catch up on things we've been putting off all week and generally just enjoy not being at work!
However, one of my favourite past times that I (amongst millions of others) also like get in each weekend, is at least one film...a task made much easier the past 6 months up until the sad demise this week of a certain iPhone app Cartoon HD! But even with all of those films at my fingertips, I still managed to find excuses to not be in the right frame of mind to sit down and watch certain films in favour of beloved classics that take less brain power after a working week!
This weekend offered most of the above, with catching up with friends, Chinese takeaway, haircut, housework and meal out with sister amongst other things planned for this 2 day period.
But when my girlfriend became unwell with flu like symptoms, the house became a quarantine zone, the weather decided to rage with thunderstorms and unpredictability, plans got cancelled and worst of all Cartoon HD was no more, I decided to take the lemons we had been dealt...and treat myself to a weekend of finally watching films I have been meaning to watch for months but never got around too!
My first choice is one that drew my attention nearly a year ago when I first saw the trailer and has stuck with me ever since for it's intriguing list of mega star cameos and underlying offbeat comedy!
The Grand Budapest Hotel is an escapist comedy that pays great homage to early British cinema and sees a heavy nod towards the slapstick nature of Charlie Chaplin and such like early greats.
Set in a backdrop based on wartime Bavaria, this stylish comedy is subtle in nature and could be easily lost on those who like their comedy a little more direct or choose not to pay attention and therefore miss the nods, glances and gestures that add more humour to the film than any words could at those points!
Ralph Fiennes' camp comedy genius is matched only by dry wit and timing of the young actor, Tony Revolory, playing the able Lobby Boy apprentice.
Despite all of the A list cameos, there is a single one that overplays their part or doesn't suit their role perfectly...with the ultimate A List appearance coming from Harvey Keitel as you would never expect to see him!
Overall I went in to this expecting to expect the unexpected, unsure of the true premise and simply knowing that my intrigue may not be enough to carry this film to my liking...but I needn't have worried. For I was enthralled from the start and remained intrigued and captivated by the comedic twists and turns that shout largely to a cinematic age long lost in the 21st century.
For a weekend of films ahead this was the perfect start for me...and would be a hard act to follow!
But follow it I must try...
So the second film I reached for is one that has fluttered around my consciousness for the majority of this year but one I've never quite been in the mood to get in to
The usual Coen Brothers melancholic atmosphere but this time with a soundtrack that enthrals and encapsulates an era of post war struggle inspired by Bob Dylan and the greats of that time...and one that anyone who enjoys their folk music a bit more modern, there is plenty to keep your ears entertained thanks to the involvement of Marcus Mumford of a certain chart topping group (I couldn't really make that one any easier to guess!).
The slow pace is typical of all things Coen (they are the masters of making you sit up one hour in and question whether anything has actually happened yet at the same time as realising that you've actually quite enjoyed the journey so far...wherever it is they've taken you) so if you're after a laugh-a-minute comedy to wile away a Saturday afternoon or entertain on a Friday night then this probably isn't for you...
And to be honest, even once it finished I wasn't entirely sure it was for me...as I wasn't entirely sure if it had actually gone anywhere...
But the truth is, it's one of those films that leaves you thinking about the undertones for a long time afterwards...and then of course there is that soundtrack to remember it by...what exactly I'm remembering I'm still not sure, but apparently that's the point!
So on to the next one...
After all that implied melancholy I figured it was time to lighten the mood.
So I thought I would take a risk and see if Zac Efron's brilliantly comedic stint in Bad Neighbours was a one off and give his previous dalliance a try.
That Awkward Moment is exactly that...That awkward moment when you realise that Zac Efron is actually a pretty decent comedy actor. Yes this is a simple rom com from a guys perspective that could easily be classed as a warm up act for his stint in Bad Neighbours but that would be unfair (alas it is what crossed my mind before pressing play having already seen Bad Neighbours and enjoyed that immensely!).
This film ticks all the right boxes you would expect... Attractive male characters, check; Attractive yet quirky female characters, check; A group of twenty something's finding their way in life to a backdrop of winter in New York, big check! What more could you ask for?!...
Well apart from Miles Teller not trying far to hard to be Jonah Hill, which is probably the main thing that annoys throughout but if you can get past that you'll be treated to a generic boys meet girls, falls for girls despite a brotherly pact, regrets early mistaken pact which causes rift between boys and girls alike, important moral life lessons get learned and then the grand gesture that brings them all back together...but we're all suckers for that kind of film from time to time right?!
This is one of those films that you can watch to wile away the time on a Saturday afternoon or indeed enjoy a Friday night out to!
And all of this in time for a Saturday afternoon haircut, housework and a Chinese takeaway with my sister and her fiancé!...after which we even managed to take in another film that I had previously seen but enjoyed nonetheless, Non-Stop. A Liam Neeson action spectacular that does exactly what it says on the tin and won't leave you disappointed if you are a fan of all things Taken...or whodunit-style thrillers. Which is pretty much all you need to say on that one!
I realise now that this feeble attempt at a film review blog post has whittled on for some time, and much like one of the films I watched, has left you unsure what you expected when you first started reading, what indeed you have just read and what, if any, impact losing these 10 minutes reading has had on your life.
And with Sunday still to go, I'll let you enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'll be sure to post part 2 (or the sequel if you will) of this self indulgence very shortly. If you are in anyway intrigued then do stop by again, hopefully (for me anyway) there is plenty more to follow...
No comments:
Post a Comment