Saturday, 22 September 2012

Lost in the world

Forgive me dear reader for I have sinned... It has been 8 whole days since my last blog post and that, quite frankly, is shabby and a standard I do not want to be setting for myself.
I promised you from my first post that this blog was set up as a place for my thoughts and hopefully the start of something that allows me to get these thoughts out of my head and hopefully provide you with something to amuse, empathise or just pass the time.
However, since my last post I seem to have become more addicted to watching the number of page views go up following some Twitter and Facebook promotion than actually providing anything new for all of you new, faithful and just passing by readers.
To be honest, I have been slightly overwhelmed by the number of you venturing this way and I would like to say a big thank you to each and every one of you so far (and those of you here for the first time) for taking time out of your lives to read the words I'm putting on your screens.
I would also like to take this chance to say a big thank you to my beautiful girlfriend for always supporting me and also a big thank you to my amazing Sister, who has helped me promote this blog and continues to provide inspiration, even when she doesn't know it! She has her own blog on her website, which can be found here, and I strongly recommend you check it out (after reading the rest of this of course) and let her know your thoughts and comments.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes...
We all have those moments in life when we get lost in our own little world and forget all about the everything and everyone else.
These moments help us to recapture that age of youth and innocence we have when we're young, when a humble cardboard box or wrapping paper is far more exciting than the actual present that cost our parents their hard earned cash.
It is these moments that let us escape, if not only for a small amount of time until we realise that perhaps we are not as alone as we led ourselves to believe.

I was lucky enough to be present at one of these moments for a complete stranger this week.
On my way to work on Thursday morning, I found myself second in line at a junction and behind a relatively new red car (I think once you read on you'll agree that the make of the car in front is not the important thing but for those of you trying to build the picture in your head it was a Vauxhall Astra). The traffic on the road we were both aiming for was busy so there was plenty of time for me to notice something unusual and special taking place right before my eyes.
The male driver in front of me was physically alone in the car, as was I, but mentally he had sold out Wembley Stadium! He was midway through what can only been described as one of the best Air Drum solo's I've ever had the pleasure to witness.
We were both able to pull out of the junction safely one after the other and soon found ourselves side by side at a roundabout, where I am incredibly pleased to report he was still fully committed to his Air Drumming that I did wonder if he would remember to even check if he was able to pull away!
He then turned his head to his left (he was in the right hand lane just for clarity and those of you still trying to recreate this in your minds) and for that split second that we caught eyes there were two possible options. Both of us were definitely thinking about them but neither of us were sure which one would happen.
The first option was for me to crack a smile and for him to feel rather embarrassed.
The second, and I think you'll be proud of me for this being the option I took, was to join in, show my mutual appreciation and bring out the Air Guitar! He looked delighted!
As I pulled away at the roundabout he gave me the nod of approval that told me my audition was successful and I was now a member of the band!
I will probably never find out what song we were jamming to but I am very proud to have been welcomed into a complete strangers' world, even just for those few split seconds.

I can often be found alone with my thoughts and quite often it is in the most inappropriate of times (especially when I am at work and meant to be...hmmm...working!) but these things take us by surprise and can't (and shouldn't) be helped as, for us all, in your own little world you can be whoever, whatever and wherever you want to be.
If you are lucky enough to come across one of these moments in the lives of others then do tread gently, as you will know they are special to each of us, so don't intrude too vigorously but remember, there is always going to be the great wide world spinning by around us but we all need some time every now and again where we just shut it all out, get lost in our own world and (as seems to be the done thing this week) if welcomed in, join the Air Band Appreciation Society!

1 comment:

  1. Those moments are just brilliant, all the more so that he acknowledge your musical stylings. I like to think that somewhere, this guy has told a similar tale about how he inadvertently created an inter-car air band while on his way to work!

    ReplyDelete