But as the deadline technically is 11:59pm tonight then I suggest we move past that...for this week at least!
To say that this has been a busy week would be subjective, if you count long working hours, heading to Glasgow and back for work and then returning home to leave the house for work within 10 hours, all before a thoroughly enjoyable evening spent watching the new Hunger Games film with friends as a busy week then that's where we'll start!
Being busy at work is becoming the norm of late... as you all know it's a constant excuse for my lack of blogging. Even my social life has increased somewhat over the past few months... as my bank balance can attest to!
So it is very hard to remember a time when the days don't merge in to each other, the need to unwind wasn't ever present, I didn't feel like I had to remind myself about the smallest details or have to rely on Facebook to remember when people have their birthdays!
Anyway, imagine my surprise to get 5 mins yesterday to relax and unwind scrolling through the various forms of social media.
There I was happily browsing the lives of others when I decided I would take a delve in to the wonders of my past social media exploits through the wonders of Timehop!
Waiting the modern sense of an eternity (i.e. 2 seconds) for the app to load, I was full of anticipation to see what statuses, tweets, pictures and posts had befallen the 22nd November in previous years and hopefully remember a time when I had...well...time!
And let's say I wasn't disappointed!... Well actually I was!
For what lay on my screen in front of me wasn't an array of photos or witty statuses.
Nor was it a feast of tweets, retweets or check ins.
Alas, it would appear that in the modern technological era (or Anno Facebook as it may as well be called), the 21st of November is a day of rest!
As you can see, at no point in this date have I posted a picture, updated my status, tweeted or retweeted or tagged myself anywhere.
How can that be? Surely I've done something to shout about on each of the 365 days over the course of the last 7 years or more? Apparently not!
A massive part of me feels sad for the need to validate our lives by checking in, tagging friends or being tagged as well as updating statuses and taking selfies! However, I am a modern metrosexual man who understands the importance of rolling with the times and embracing culture...
It's something we've been doing for years and never realised it.
I bet I'm not the only person who grew up surrounded by photo albums and camera rolls? Mums worldwide are stereotypically renowned for getting the photos out at the first opportunity during an evening of entertaining friends and relatives.
We also horde memorabilia from places we've visited, concerts we've attended or even stubs from movies we've seen, all so we can look upon them and relive those moments whenever the mood takes us!
So it may seem pointless to repost things you've already posted years before but for me I'll let this one slide as it is just the modern way of taking time to reflect on where we've been, appreciate what we have now and use it to spur us on to where we want to be!
Now, I know you're wondering if come 22nd November 2015 I'll be able to open up Timehop (or whatever technological item we're using then) and look back on a date to remember... Well you'll just have to keep checking back between now and then to see if I reveal any details... A cheap way of ensuring reader retention but it's all I've got with this deadline looming!
p.s. In case you were wondering and can't tell from the costumed dinosaur at the bottom of the picture then the "News from 1995" is that 19 years ago yesterday the first Toy Story film was released in cinemas...makes you feel old doesn't it?!...maybe, just maybe, some times it's dangerous to reminisce!

No comments:
Post a Comment