Sunday, 16 November 2014

I had a dream...

In which I wrote an entire blog post...which must have been a dream as it has been well over 3 months since I last wrote one of those!

I can blame my usual factors of working too much; Life getting in the way or simply not having enough hours in the day but truth is...I had lost that loving feeling with writing this blog.
 
"Sacrilege!" I hear you shout! Well not entirely...you see, it's not that I had nothing to write about, in fact the past 3 months have been some of the most life changing Ibhave so far experienced. Instead, it was more that I was my own critique...every time I would start writing I wouldn't be happy where it was going or I would try to put too many different things in and suddenly it's an essay that makes little sense to me let alone all of you lovely readers!

And of course, I have been working too much; Life HAS been getting in the way AND there are simply not enough hours in the day! Sorry, couldn't resist!

Then to top it all, using the wonders of modern technology* (*Read Timehop) I was able to see that 2 years ago I posted on another modern platform** (**Read Twitter) that I was suffering with major writers block! 

Now you may be wondering why this comes as a surprise to myself, seeing as it happened to me and 9 out of 10 of my blog posts will contain some reference to me apologising for not blogging or reciting the blogging equivalent of the Catholic mantra, "Forgive me dear readers for it has been (insert time frame here) since my last blog!
However, it may not have come as a surprise but it sure acted as a kick up the backside... especially when I then reposted that Timehop status on Facebook and got some exceptionally motivating team talks from friends and family! Suddenly I can't hide anymore... 

But maybe that's the secret! I let goals slip away from me with writing, even the #RandomTasks couldn't keep motivation high!

Whilst we're on the subject though and for those of you still on the edge of your seat wondering whether I managed to hit double figures in April for my yoga activities (yes that's right, it's been that long since I bored you with this topic)...well wonder no more...well slightly longer as I prolong this section and type random words just to keep the suspense (a real poor form of suspense, especially if you compare it to a Hitchcock thriller)...anyway, where was I?

Oh yes, yoga, well I can reveal I did indeed hit 10 yoga sessions in April! Huzzah!

And whilst I'm avoiding the subject that I haven't blogged much over the past few months, I may as well fill you in that I managed exactly the same number of yoga sessions throughout May as well!

June saw me reach a grand total of 8 and July fettered away with a mere 2...the decline inevitable when looking back over previous years' attempts to sustain a healthy lifestyle!

And now August, September and October are but a distant memory I can reveal that the only trend forming is a negative one...on this front anyway...as a grand total of zero was also "achieved" in those months too...something tells me that these #RandomTasks weren't as effective as I had hoped all those months ago!

Anyway, back to the epiphany...

I'm usually someone who strives to be well prepared, focussed and take a good run up at tasks...but mostly end up doing my best (subject to opinion) work when under pressure with the deadline looming.
Throughout school, college and university I would always start day one of an assignment or exam with all the right intentions: planning, research, study partners etc but more often than not I would find myself learning the most in last minute revision or working against the clock to get work finished.
Even in my working life, sometimes it is the impending feeling of failure to meet a deadline that drives me on to complete a task (shhhh...don't tell my bosses though!), so I'm guessing this is just the way my mind works...best or otherwise!

Maybe, just maybe, setting myself a time oriented #RandomTask as my last one of the year will help stir the creative writing juices and see the year out the way I intended!

#8 Between now and 31st December 2014 I am going to publish a minimum of one new blog post per week (Monday to Sunday)

It's not going to be easy if my history of blog posting is anything to go by and I have no doubt there will be a future blog post from me apologising for my tardiness between blog posts but my commitment is to make sure that my tardiness is ever decreasing and ultimately I am going to try my hardest to make sure you never have to read those 5 immortal words again...that life got in the way!...well after now, obviously I needed to use them then for effect, but starting now!

And so a promise is a promise! It's time to blow away the cobwebs, write about the good and bad things life throws my way and hopefully...just hopefully, write something that not only I enjoy, but one or two of you do too!

Oh and for those of you with incredible memories (seriously, if you did remember then after reading this you really should get in touch with MENSA!), I failed miserably in finally getting around to finishing to read Danny Wallace's "Charlotte Street" (otherwise known as #RandomTask 7) so let's just mark this down as "Ongoing".

#RandomTasks Set = 8 Completed = 4 Pending = 2 Failed = 2

No comments:

Post a Comment