Sunday, 11 January 2015

The new adventures of the same old problem

There is one scene from the "classic" 90's television show "The New Adventures of Superman" starring the incredible acting talent of Dean Cain in the lead role, in which Superman can be seen levitating in mid-air and blistering through the pages of a book faster than...well faster than a speeding bullet!

Now I can safely bet that you didn't enter this blog post expecting to be reminded of mid-nineties popular culture that you had hoped had been well and truly buried in that decade... Alas we can't change the past so not only can we not stop Dean Cain from donning the red cape, neither can we go back and unread the words in the first paragraph above...although I could have been kind and not written then in the first place!

This is probably the point where I should explain such a random beginning to this post...

Unfortunately first I must admit that these type of thoughts aren't uncommon in my head on a daily basis, neither can I go go any further without revealing that I was actually a big fan of 90's TV Show "The New Adventures of Superman" as well as wanting to be Dean Cain and finding that his Lois Lane (a late twenty something Teri Hatcher) became one of my first boyhood crushes!

Whilst I'm travelling down nostalgia lane, another mid 90's TV favourite of mine that you might not remember was "Due South", a show about the adventures of a Canadian Mountie transferred to work in a far more westernised Chicago police environment...and to this day I can picture his huskie "Snow" stealing the show and I can still sing the theme tune...although neither the Mountie nor his huskie joined Miss Hatcher on my list of early teen crushes you'll be pleased to here!

So where was I? Oh yes, the reason behind this rambling...
Well as many of you know, my desire to read more is severely affected by the ongoing battle between my ever increasing pile of books to read and my ever decreasing free time.
These days the pile doesn't even have to be physical as the large number of e-books in my Kindle app library will attest to!

So as I continue to thumb my way through the brilliant "Gone Girl" (a physical book so thumbs are definitely needed for this one) and attempt to finish Danny Wallace's "Charlotte Street" one chapter at a time (which I am happy to report I have read another chapter this week to keep on track to achieve one of my first 3 #RandomTasks of 2015), I also find that I am unable to read at the same speed with which I used to possess!
So many of my friends seem to be able to pick up a book and read it within a few days, whilst also holding down jobs (like I do) and packing in all of their other interests (like I tend to prioritise) and somehow finding time to eat and bathe (not that I don't do these things when I find time to read, just in case you were thinking less of me)!

So why does it take me so long to get through the same books?
In time off gone by I used to be able to read a book in a few days and be on to the next one to try to finish before I returned to work.
But now, well let's just say that if I get through a chapter each day I feel productive!

Anyway, all of this reading comes at a time when I seem inundated with new books on all manner of subjects as well, all waiting to be consumed and yet more likely to consume dust rather than my time!
Anything from thrillers to classics I've always wanted to read through to my growing amount of "free from" cooking books and lifestyle related books I have been told "will change my life for the better"!

Which is where the speed reading ability and knowledge retention of Superman would come in rather handy!

And suddenly my opening reference to that one specific scene from "New Adventures of Superman" all those years ago becomes slightly less random...don't you agree?!

There is a flaw to this plan however...

It is quite a big flaw actually and I guess kind of obvious... I am not Superman! (I know you're in shock and you're entire belief system is now shaken but we have to face facts and hopefully you were sitting down when you were reading this!), therefore I will never possess a single super power let alone be able to choose that specific one.
And if I ever could possess a super power, would I really choose speed reading over flight, super strength or speed in general?

Right now... maybe so! But that would simply solve one specific issue but would be very short sighted of me (which is where Clark Kent's glasses would have come in handy maybe?!...no?!...too geeky?!...bad pun?!...ok then!).

What I'm trying to say is that it's so easy to let the world pile up around you and feel swamped or like you're fighting an uphill battle or swimming against the tide.
This can all lead to a sense of helplessness and a loss of focus on what's right in front of you!

Simply put, a book can only be read one page at a time!

As long as the desire to complete your goals is there then that is half the battle won!
If you can retain your positivity and prioritise one thing at a time then the world around you will soon appear less daunting and the tasks will soon get ticked off, even if you are adding more to your list!

So don't lose sight of the goals you've set yourself for the year ahead. Keep taking chunks out of them slowly but surely and every time you find yourself ticking off another goal you can use that sense of accomplishment to spur you on to the next one!

Keep going folks!


Disclaimer: No Dean Cain's were harmed in the writing of this blog post.
For those of you concerned that you haven't seen anything of Dean Cain in the past 10-15 years, a quick IMDB search reveals that he is very much still "acting" and can be found in a number of 2014 Made-for-TV classics such as "Holiday Miracle", "The 3 Dogateers" and not forgetting "Airplane vs Volcano"! I know, big names right?! It seems being Superman really is the best it can ever get!

No comments:

Post a Comment